Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"SAMMY" -- ONE YEAR LATER

A DIFFERENT KIND OF STORY
 
In the fall of 1998, a mouse ran across our kitchen floor, ... we decided that we needed a cat! We drove to the SPCA. My son's girlfriend said "look, he's so cute!" We took SAMMY, a little orange and white tabby,  home.

That Christmas, my visiting daughter fell in love with Sammy. I wrapped his papers and put them under the Christmas tree. They left, driving 1000 miles North. When my daughter's first child was expected, she brought Sammy back to "Mom" in S.E. Edmonton.

Our house was a very busy place, and I had a Maltese "Tiffy" and a Bichon Shih Tzu "Bear".  Sammy was an attention seeker and controlling in many different ways.  The finale was tragic. Jealous of certain sleeping areas, he pawed Bear in the eye, immediately causing an ulcer needing lots of Vet care. The option was limited.I didn't have the courage to advertise Sammy.  Talking with friends. I found a caring, attentive new owner with no other pets or children in Central Edmonton, in March, 2008.
 
Tiffy passed away in October 2009.  She was 15 yrs old.
 
On March 8, 2010 a phone call came from the Edmonton Humane Society, "we have your cat".  I told the gal that I don't have a cat, just one little dog.  She said "we have a cat here with a microchip, registered to you". I was in wonderment!!! What ??? I did not know that the SPCA had put a microchip in Sammy in 1998.  He was found in the far N.E. of the City by a Landlord, with 2 other cats, abandoned by the vacated tenants

Several calls were made back and forth with the Humane Society, then they told me to go on PetLynx. I couldn't find him. I panicked and called back "he's not there"!! They told me  his picture was there and he was #10-69703. He was, and he looked so forlorn.

The wait time was 5 p.m. on Fri March 19th, should the owner of Central Edmonton show up, if not, Sammy would be euthanized that evening.  We were there at 4 p.m.

Sammy knew he was back home and for the 1st week didn't take his eyes off me. I felt such guilt.  All his hair was totally matted, he had to be shaved.

It is now one year later. Sammy is now the most content and pampered "lap cat", purring all the time, kneading his white paws.  Bear and Sammy now use each other for a pillow.

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts to the staff at the Humane Society, the helpful people at PetLynx, and the microchip in Sammy that brought him home.                                    
Bonnie

Posted by Terri Perrin, Online Communications Editor

1 comment: