Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Personal Pet Experience - GAP with Eric from Pets Plus Us

We often talk about being ‘pet lovers’ and like to talk about our personal ‘pet experience’ whenever we can. Well, I always thought my pet experience led me to be a dog lover not a pet lover. 

Growing up our family always had cats, sometimes 4-5 at a time plus new litters. We had no less than 30 cats while I was growing up. I can recall the cardboard box my mother used to keep track of the kittens and how we tried to hide them from my dad by keeping them in my brother and I’s bedroom.  It was never successful as after a few days one of those adorable four legged furry curious kitty’s found their way out of the bedroom in into my dad’s lap. He never really took a shining to cats, he was a ‘dog guy’ but those pesky cats and kittens were always attracted to dad. He would rest on the couch and every-time he woke up there was a cat snuggled somewhere on the couch with him. They found their own way there or one of my 3 siblings or me gently placed it to see my dad’s reaction.

The cats always slept on the clothes (believe it or not, I didn’t always put my clothes away when I was younger) on my bed, and I felt I was always trying to fend for myself against those annoying cats in my room.  This led me to become attached to our first dog Toby (a rescue) and this is when I think I started to become a dog lover, not a cat lover, therefore not a pet lover. I think the cats got jealous and one evening while I was sleeping one of the pregnant cats decided that giving birth to four kittens on my pillow while I slept was the ideal location. This was the final ‘cat…astrophe’ for me, I was definitely a dog lover. 28-years and two dogs later, Toby and Kelly (also a rescue) I was definitely an exclusive dog lover.


Bruin
Fast forward a few years and our Pets Plus Office provided a permanent home to a stray FIV cat named Bruin, adopted from the Burlington Humane Society. Bruin has war wounds from defending himself after 18-months of surviving on the streets. He now has a loving home, gets 2-square meals a day, probably gets too many treats and is treated like a princess. He has taken over one of our meeting rooms, now known as ‘Bruins Office’. Bruin has a unique character which makes you fall in love with him. If I am out of the office for a few days he gives me the silent treatment when I return. I now miss Bruin when I don’t see him for a few days and I need to know how Bruin is doing so I keep updated by visiting his personal Facebook page (www.facebook.com/BruinTheCat). Bruin has re-ignited my appreciation of cats and because of Bruin I now call myself a ‘Pet Lover’ not just a ‘Dog Lover’. It took Bruin to show me I really always liked cats but kept telling myself I didn’t. Now if we could only change Bruin’s name to Leaf (as in Toronto Maple Leafs) everything would be good in the world! 

Thank –you Bruin for opening my eyes and for being you!  

Eric from Pets Plus Us                  

No comments:

Post a Comment