Thursday, June 26, 2014

Petland Canada's Amy shares her personal pet experience - GAP

As far back as I can remember, there has been animals and pets in my life. I was born in Tilbury, Ontario, a small farming community where my family spent weekends at a friend's local farm. I loved visiting the farm and being around the animals, especially the piglets. I grew up surrounded by animals, I have many fond memories and really directed my passion to work with animals.

January 1998, I moved back to Winnipeg, leaving my family behind in Calgary. I searched for an apartment that was pet friendly. I was so excited to be able to have a pet that was my own. I made my journey to the Winnipeg Humane Society to adopt my very own cat. As I journeyed through all the adoptable I visited so many animals that needed to find their forever homes. It was overwhelming to make a choice, I asked myself how could I ever choose and leave someone behind. Then something amazing happened, as I washed around, an orange tabby reached out and tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and he was the one, then I realized that there were two. That day, Loki and Newton chose me and my life has never been the same. They also lived up to their names, Loki is the trickster and Newton my cat that figured everything out. Both so social and affectionate.

We have moved across the prairies together, they helped me through tough times, celebrated the good times and I have been caught having full conversations with them.

This past Christmas, Newton's wonderful life came to an end. This was the first time that I experienced this and I was not prepared. This has made me an even better pet person as I can now empathize and share my experience. I was also so worried about Loki, as he lost his brother, we worked through everything together and this has brought Loki and I even closer.

Since I adopted Loki, he has never left my side. Every day, he greets me at the door, follows me around the house, talks to me and sleeps above my head. They have been a huge influence and such a positive impact on my life. Pets really do make life better. J

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Beautiful story!! And I agree, yes, they do make life better! :)

    ReplyDelete